The word ‘Chakra’ has its origin in Sanskrit language and means ‘wheel’. Although a human body is said to have over 80,000 chakras (minor and major), only seven are considered to be primary Chakras or ‘energy centers’. These chakras are located along the central vertical axis of our spine and open towards the front of the body like a blossom. These circular energy centers are constantly rotating, receiving and radiating energy; each one of them is connected with the spine by a narrow stem. Normally these chakras extend about four inches in all directions but as the spiritual awakening advances, these chakras extend further from the body, frequency vibrations increase and their corresponding colors become clearer and brighter.
Seven primary Chakras & Colors associated
- Crown Chakra – White
- Third eye chakra – Purple
- Throat Chakra – Blue
- Heart Chakra – Green
- Solar Plexus – Yellow
- Sacral chakra – Orange
- Root Chakra – Red
Chakras – Significance
Chakras are energy centers that control the flow of energy in and out of the body. The Chakras located in the lower region of the body are mostly connected with instincts or basic human desires and those towards the top govern the higher mental faculties better known as ‘intellect’. It is essential to have all the seven Chakras open at all times in order to maintain a healthy physical and mental being. A blockage in any Chakra may result in (unexplained) weaknesses, deficiencies or chronic ailments in that part of the body in which the Chakra blockage exists. Hence, it’s extremely important to ensure that all Chakras remain open and if they appear to be blocked, the blockage should be removed without any delay.
Role of each Chakra
It’s generally considered best to open the Chakras starting from the lower to upper region of the body. This means that the Root chakra should be the first step to start with and should be followed by the Sacral chakra, Solar Plexus, Heart, Throat, Third Eye and finally Crown chakra.
- The Root chakra is the foundation. An active Chakra means that you are stable and well grounded in the materialistic realm. When the Root chakra is open, you’re able to feel mentally secure and stable. Having opened this chakra, you’ll feel like having deep roots (firmly grounded) and no one can destabilize you. Most of the times, the insecurity and fears are in the mind and that needs to be cured.
- Only when you feel secure, welcome and acceptable in your group or community, you are able to express feelings and sexuality appropriately, which happens to be the domain of Sacral Chakra. How comfortable you are with your sexuality and how expressive you are with your partner falls within the purview of Sacral Chakra.
- Having opened the Sacral Chaka, you can proceed to Solar Plexus, to assert your desires and have them fulfilled. This assertion is something that’s prevalent in social groups and communities and is by far the most important factor in gaining social acceptance. This is the center that governs your action and decides if you are a proactive or a laid back person. This is the center of self love, ego and self esteem.
- Being able to deal with social situations, you can enjoy warm, healthy and long lasting relationships, which is the domain of the Heart Chakra. This controls the aggression of Solar Plexus and makes a person kind, loving, selfless and generous.
- When relationships are formed, you should be able to express yourself properly and that is what Throat Chakra helps you with. An active Chakra helps you communicate flawlessly and appropriately with people. Throat Chakra gives you that potent power of speech and power over others.
- That takes us to next level, the Third Eye Chakra. This is better termed as the seat of thought, reasoning, insight and intellect. By opening Third Eye chakra, you achieve clarity of thought, clairvoyance, intuition, and sometimes psychic abilities.
- When all these Chakras are open, you’re ready for the Crown Chakra, to develop wisdom, self-awareness and awareness of your existence as a part of the Higher Self. This Chakra is the center of spiritual enlightenment.